Some Past Rides.

21. Apr, 2013
Phillip Island Ride.
Although the weather report said it was going to rain it was still very sunny and warm when we all gathered in Tooradin. After a morning dose of coffee and breakfast fare we had a quick wander around the Tooradin Sunday Market to see if we could locate a new member who said he may have a stall there. We couldn't find him but it was a lovely day and the short stroll through the market was very pleasant. Angelo, Dennis, Lynn, Ross, Marcus and Berni then saddled up and headed just a few kilometers down the road for a fuel stop. It was quite fortunate as during the stop Marcus noticed that he may have over oiled the chain and there was a dangerous amount of oil on the rear tyre. A thorough wipe with some fuel and all was well. Angelo then led the group to Cowes for lunch. It was quite surreal when we arrived, it was warm and sunny and everything was open and yet there were very few people about. It was probably because the Weather Bureau had got the report wrong and the threat of rain had kept the crowds matter, it was good having the place practically to ourselves. We dined on the finest local delicasies that Cowes had to offer..Marcus and Berni hightailed it up to the local bakery for a pie and vanilla slice, Angelo went to his favourite pizza place while Ross, Dennis and Lynn found a sidewalk cafe. On an earlier ride the club found the world's biggest vanilla slice and this time around Lynn discovered the worlds biggest plate of nachos. It was a monster. The weather appeared to be holding out so we decided to ride home the scenic way rather than taking the highway. We rode through Kilcunda then to Dayleston. From there to Archies Creek and on to Loch. The ride and the views were spectacular. From Loch we headed to Nyora for a brief photo shoot at the old station and then back to Tooradin for afternoon tea. It was a great day and a great ride. Thanks to Angelo for being our ride leader for the day.
The blokes at the deserted Nyora Railway Station.
The crew.
Lynn discovers the worlds biggest plate of nachos.
Waiting for the train that will never arrive.
15. Sep, 2013
Wonthaggi Ride
After several of our previous rides were wash outs, it was great to start a ride in bright sunshine and warmth. Berni and I rode to Tooradin and eagerly tucked into a hearty breakfast. We were soon joined by Ross and Stig who was a welcomed guest on the ride. With coffees finished we set off via Lang Lang, Poowong, Loch, then over the top and down passed Archies Creek and on to Wonthaggi. We had lunch at the Whale Bone Hotel which was just great. I can recommend the meals there if you're ever in the area. After lunch we left Wonthaggi and headed to Kongwak where we made a brief stop at the Kongwak Sunday Market and did a bit of exploring around the old derelict Cheese Factory. From there it was on to Korumburra where we made another "rubber neck" stop and had a flying visit to the Coal Creek Historic Village. Now what would a CRABs ride be if we didn't make the obligatory stop at a bakery for some pastry delights and a coffee, so we headed to Tooradin where we indulged to great satisfaction. We said our goodbyes and then it was off home. A great ride in almost perfect conditions.
The guys at the Kongwak Market.
19. Jan, 2014
Phillip Island Ride. Vietnam Vetran War Museum
After a hot week it was great to get some cooler weather and Sunday proved to be great conditions for riding. We all met in Tooradin and after a quick coffee and some catch up chat about what we all did over Christmas and the New Year we were on our way. On the ride was Merv, Ross, Lyn, Stig, Steve, Bennie, Marcus and Berni. We rode down the highway to Grantville where we turned off and headed up into the hills and made our way to Kilcunda via Glen Forbes and Woolamai. The route was great and it was fantastic to travel on some back roads that we hadn't ridden on before. We made a slight detour down a dirt road and we were greeted by some spectacular views of the coast and Bass Strait. After a brief stop for some pics, some sightseeing, a few laughs and some hill climbing exercise we were on our way to Kilcunda. Lunch was at the Kilcunda pub where the food was quick but somehow they had run out of cutlery; don't ask me how this can happen but it did. Stig won the "Most Resourceful Biker Award" by eating his main course with a dessert spoon. We finished lunch and watched a sea rescue in progress from the deck and then we were on our way to Phillip Island. We spent about an hour and a half at the Vietnam Veterans War Museum which was very interesting and well worth a look. I think they said there was over 24,000 items on dipslay ranging from bombers, helicopters and tanks down to small shell fragments. From there it was back to Tooradin for the obligatory coffee and a cake afternoon tea. Thanks to Merv it was a great ride and an interesting day out. A good time was had by all.
The group enjoy some lovely views above Kilcunda.
And don't they look menacing??
I can't believe I ran all the way up this hill to take the pic. But it's a nice shot from the ride.
Lyn appears to be having a good day.
The crew at the museum on Phillip Island.
20. Apr, 2014
Poowong Ride
Our intrepid crew, Steve, Marcus, Berni, Stig and Rowan, met in Somerville and although the skies looked a bit threatening we were all keen for a ride. With a police escort, we left Somerville and made a brief stop in Tooradin in case any riders were coming in from other directions. We met up with Lance and he was keen to join us for a ride and a pub lunch. After a hearty meal in Poowong Steve and Rowan left us to attend a family function and the others headed down to our favourite bakery in Inverloch. The bakery is a sinful place, not only because of the range of delicious pastries but the female proprietor is keen to tell us of the latest sex scandals in Inverloch. From there we headed back to Tooradin to say our farewells. A great day was had by all.
Meeting up in Somerville.
The crew at the Poowng Pub.
6. Jul, 2014
Grampians Ride
Steve, Paul, Julie and myself left Melbourne on a cold and wet Saturday morning. (Paul and Julie ride a Triumph Tiger 800 - they're not in the club YET - we're working on it). Fortunately, as soon as we had turned off towards Anglesea, the sun came out, making the riding along the Great Ocean Road a little slippery but nonetheless, spectacular. We were quite happy to meander along at a sensible pace enjoying a little sightseeing. As I'm sure we're all aware,the speed limit is now 80km/ph all the way to Apollo Bay - to date, we haven't received any speeding fines in the mail. A little while ago, on a similar trip we copped two mobile camera fines within one km of each other.
Having warmed our hands and backsides by the fire over lunch at the pub at Apollo Bay, we set out towards Portland. I love it beyond AB, the road opens up with sweeping corners and some nice twisty curves, the traffic is sparse and no 80 kms limit. The scenery isn't bad either. Of course, despite the glorious scenery, we put the pedal to the metal to get to our Portland destination for the night. Would definitely recommend Victoria House B&B. "Basil" really looked after us supplying port and fruit cake served by a lovely open fire on our arrival and following up with electric blankets and a terrific hearty breakfast the following morn. Overall, conditions weren't too bad - just a little wind and rain - and not too cold.
On Saturday we rode to Halls Gap, in the Grampians, following a myriad of country roads, via rolling hills, and farmlands - very enjoyable indeed. We snaked our way past the town where the first Kelpie was bred in Casterton and arrived - just - at Halls Gap, with Steve's trip computer advising he had six kms left till empty. Shacked up at a caravan park just next to the local in readiness for a night out. A bit disappointing when they gave us our marching orders at 8pm. The day's weather was superb, sunny virtually all day - fresh of course.
We set off in the morn to about 5 degrees, so it was full thermals and water proofs (to keep that dreaded chill factor out) and on the road by 8. It's times like this when you think, spending those extra dollars on heated grips and seats was money well spent. A great little run into Stawell - straight to Maccas for breakfast. Then Ararat, followed by a sort of north east meander via Maryborough, and more secondary country roads towards Bendigo and back south into Daylesford for lunch. By this time it must have been a balmy 12 degrees or so. After lunch, straight into Melb via the Western Fwy. Once again the sun was out all day. A sunny 12 degrees is certainly different to a dark overcast 12 degrees.
All up, about 1300 kms - we had an awesome time of course, There's something special about a bike trip in the thick of winter. Cold - of course, but, I reckon the key is to ensure that wind doesn't get through - keep those waterproofs on all the time! and doesn't the engine respond to that crisp mountain air.
Steve and Bennie Diez
3. Aug, 2014
Peninsula Ride.
On a cool but sunny winter’s day Merv, Simon & Ross departed Cafe 115 in Mornington after a hearty breakfast meeting to enjoy the many pleasures the Mornington Peninsula has to offer. After a leisurely ride around the coast past Mt Martha & Dromana we headed up the twist Arthurs Seat being careful not to scrape the footrests. A brief stop at a lookout to take in the vista & then we continued on past Cape Schanck and on to Flinders. As this was the first nice Sunday for some time the bikes were out in force and Flinders was choc a bloc with two wheelers of all description. The eating establishments were very busy & whilst Ross was in & out fairly swiftly it took Simon quite a while to get served. Merv spent time comparing notes with a fellow Honda Shadow rider who had chalked up well over 100,000 k’s. After Lunch we headed back to Steve's place to assist in loading the trailer full of wood for the donation to the Dromana Football Club.
Merv and his Honda enjoy the sunshine.
Hard at work loading the trailer with wood.
A ride of different kind.
Some past rides.

Feb BBQ Ride.

It was a rainy morning when we turned up at the meeting in Mornington. The plan was to have a BBQ in Nyora but the unpleasant weather guided our hands and we settled for Lyn's generous offer to have the barbie at her house. Following the meeting Lyn, Simon, Caleb, Berni and Marcus met up at Safeway in Mornington to buy the supplies. It was a dry run down to McRae even tho it was raining quite heavily in Mornington. Caleb cooked the lunch on the barbie while the others had a good old chat. The group dispersed at about four. A great time was had by all.....and no, we didn't have any rain on the trip to Lyn's and back. Thanks to Lyn for the use of her home.